Monday, September 13, 2004

Adjective in place of Adverb

 As seen at Pain In The English
Today I found myself in the position of wanting to use "volatile" in the sentence "The bombs rested volatile on the edge of the shelf." I immediately realized the sentence seemed choppy. I also realized, however, that "volatilely" is not a word. I was thinking of "precariously" but wanted to express a more explosive mood instead of the somewhat timid-sounding "precariously."

Are there situations where an adjective can be used in place of an adverb? For instance, tonight I heard a teleivision show use the phrase "You've done nothing but wax idiotic."

Any examples, rules, or guidelines relating to the use of this kind of adjective/adverb structure would be a boon to my understanding. Thank you... read more

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home