Sunday, October 03, 2004

Patchwork [1]

 As seen at OpenBrackets

Today’s game is called centon, taken from the Latin word cento meaning (roughly) patchwork. It’s an ancient game that consists of creating a piece of poetry or prose made up of lines from other works.

The only rule – if you’re willing to take some dead Latin poet’s word – is that you cannot use two consecutive lines from the texts you’re plagiarising (uh, sorry, to which you’re paying homage).

So, given the cornucopia of current events, you could either cobble together a string of headlines, and tickle Dadaists (and alarmists) with something like this:

Mel Gibson gets court order against praying fan
Bomber kills 25 worshippers in Pakistan
Restless St. Helens may not be done
Judge questions plans for Microsoft sanction
Schwarzenegger warns against glamorizing inmates
Greek archaeologists discover 2,500 year old pomegranates.

Or you can string together lines from novels or from celebrated and not so verse, to produce a little ditty like this:

Love bade me welcome: yet my soul drew back,
I said: my heart, now let us sing a song for a fair lady on her wedding-day:
I am in love with high far-seeing places
I love my hour of wind and light
Not that I love thy children, whose dull eyes see nothing save their own unlovely woe
You love us when we’re heroes, home on leave, or wounded in a mentionable place
Love not, love not! ye hapless sons of clay!

With a critical eye you scann’d, then set it down, and said:

Love is the blossom where there blows every thing that lives or grows
Love has earth to which she clings
Oh love is fair, and love is rare; my dear one she said
Love is not love which alters when it alteration finds
Love suffereth all things
Love, love me only, love me for ever
I Love him, I love him, ran the patter of her lips

I said – for Love was laggard, O, Love was slow to come
Love is a sickness full of woes
Love is a breach in the walls, a broken gate,
Love is my sin, and thy dear virtue.

But quick-ey’d Love, observing me grow slack from my first entrance in, drew nearer to me, sweetly questioning:
Love, flooding all the creeks of my dry soul
How could I love you more?
Love is enough.

I said, then, dearest, since ‘tis so
Why do you iron the night away?
Give me more love, or more disdain.

Love has gone and left me and the days are all alike.

And you need not suffer the humiliation of having produced a pun.

.. read more

10 Comments:

Blogger admin said...

dear justin

i found your site when i typed english grammar in google search box but i think the contents is not about english grammar but rather vocabulary . isn't it?

but i think wi will have the same hobby

best regard

visit me

March 24, 2008 at 11:15 AM  
Blogger Anjali said...

Really the Content of this Blog is very Different. I was also finding the site to learn English grammar.

September 25, 2009 at 6:18 AM  
Blogger roop said...

Use this free paper
grader
software to "pre-grade" your papers.

January 6, 2010 at 5:01 AM  
Blogger Rose Lee said...

Good information. have More stuff about Use of Auxiliary Verbs quickly to share.

June 7, 2014 at 3:48 AM  
Blogger Sai Santosh said...

Really nice information about the exam and interview tips for those who are preparing for private and latest govt jobs

June 27, 2016 at 11:33 PM  
Blogger SaiRam S said...

With the recent reforms and revised pay commission suggestions, youth are more inclined towards govt jobs compared to the IT or other private engineering jobs.

August 7, 2016 at 10:26 PM  
Blogger Ram Leela said...

JNTUK 1-2 Results Check

December 1, 2016 at 9:50 PM  
Blogger kingrani said...


JNTUK 1-2 Results Check

December 2, 2016 at 10:51 PM  
Blogger Reshma said...

Sarkari Recruitment is one of the biggest Indian Job Site so here you will getMNTL Jobs 2017so

January 25, 2017 at 3:34 AM  
Blogger Akhila Mouli said...

Sarkari Recruitment is one of the biggest Indian Job Site so here you will getREC Jobs 2017so

January 25, 2017 at 4:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home